Fertilizing your lawn is essential to make it look it’s best. But there are lots of options when fertilizing and it can be difficult to know where to start. So how do you keep your lawn the envy of the neighborhood? Here are some tips:
- When shopping for fertilizer, look for one labeled with “slow release.” This type of fertilizer breaks down its nutrients over a longer period of time. This means you won’t have to apply it as often and will save you both time and money.
- Look for fertilizer with some nitrogen in it. Most lawns need less than one-tenth of a pound of nitrogen per week. Anymore than that and your grass will grow too fast and you will have to mow more often.
- While professionals might use a spray application for fertilizer, homeowners are better off using granules. Granules are easier to use and spread easily. Spray fertilizer is very effective, but it takes expertise to apply it evenly and adjust for factors like wind. Spraying is best left to experts.
- Too much fertilizer will kill your grass. Apply half of what the directions on the bag tell you.
- Several applications of fertilizer will be needed for optimal results. The first round should be in the spring, when the ground is approximately 55 degrees. This varies from region to region, of course. The second feeding should be about four weeks later and then every eight weeks after that.
Fertilizing is clearly very important to a great lawn and can be quite a lot of work. If you’d rather leave the job of fertilizing your lawn up to the experts, call us at J&D Lawn Service. We have been caring for lawns throughout the Phoenix area for many years and know how t keep them green and beautiful. We use locally grown, top-quality fertilizer and seed that is ideal for our Arizona climate. Contact us for a free quote.