As professional Gilbert lawn care providers, we are often asked by homeowners if artificial turf could save them time or make their life easier –less maintenance, less time spent, less costs, etc. Yes, it can be of benefit in those ways, but there are some distinct and possibly harmful disadvantages. Here are some downsides to fake grass you should consider:
- Artificial grass gets really hot. Ask any child who played soccer on this type of turf. It can cause blisters and burns when in contact with the skin. Temperatures of 150 degrees and hotter have been recorded. If you have kids or pets, you’ll want to stay away from the the fake stuff.
- Studies done by Pennsylvania State University showed that artificial turf heated at 150 degrees or higher emitted gas and particles that were most harmful when athletes were lying briefly on the ground. However, these same particles can cling to your shoes and clothes and can be brought into your home and car.
- Artificial turf can get hot enough to contribute to the urban heat island effect and lead to excess run-off when it does rain.
- While artificial grass doesn’t require our Gilbert lawn care service, all plastic grass is tough to recycle. After a 10 to 15-year life span, most will end up in a landfill. Not ideal for the environment.
- Fake grass can harm the biodiversity of the soil and kill off insect and other critters. It’s not a habitat for them anymore. Our Gilbert lawn care pros do address insect issues, however some creatures and wildlife are good for your garden and overall landscape.
- Butterflies, hummingbirds and our other pollinators aren’t attracted to synthetic grass. Again, another side effect that affects our ecosystem.
We hope these factors shed some light and truth on the realities of having an artificial turf. Our Gilbert lawn care service professionals want you to be able to make informed decision before you choose to make huge changes to your property. If you have questions about how to make your existing natural lawn easier to care for, we can make some recommendations. Contact us today…we’re the real deal!